Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2235679
If there is a toxic mold (fungus) problem, the first step after the source is identified is to eliminate it. This is done through a process known as remediation. If the problem is only a minor one, it's often easier and less costly for the homeowners to do it themselves. However, if it's a major problem, it's almost always recommended that the homeowner hire a professional for several reasons. Some are more necessary than others.
If there is a large amount of fungus present, special equipment is necessary to aid in the removal of the fungi and minimize the effects of toxic exposure. This may include, rubber gloves, respiratory masks, protective rubber suits or disposable paper overalls, eye goggles, polyethylene sheeting, fungi removal products, wet vacuums, HEPA vacuums, HEPA fans and in extreme cases a decontamination chamber or airlock.
If the area affected is in small areas such as a crawlspace or attic, it's less of a hassle for a professional to clean up the area since they're already familiar with this type of a situation.
If the problem is an extremely large one, it's more than likely that the homeowner has already been exposed to the toxic fungus and should minimize further risk of exposure by staying away from the affected area.
All in the company's entire goal is to remove and/or clean any toxic molds that are present in your home and keep the fungus from re-growing in the affected areas. You should be aware however, that in some cases if the molds are extremely bad, it may be recommended that the home be condemned due to health risks and costs.
And finally, you should keep in mind that when you are considering hiring a professional, inspectors of molds are not qualified to remove the fungus. An inspector's job is to inspect your home for mold and prevent their findings only, so make sure that the company you intend on hiring is qualified for mold remediation, otherwise you'll just be wasting everyone's time and your hard earned money.