Sunday, August 14, 2016

Warning Signs That You Have Mold in Your Home



Mold can get into homes and grow quickly through the walls and into air ducts. It is best to get rid of the mold as fast as possible to lower the health effects it may have on your family. But how do you know if you have mold in your home? There are five ways to tell if mold is growing in your house.
Mold Odor - If you have a suspicious odor that just won't go away, chances are it is mold. Mold will smell musty and earthy and the smell will be constant.
See the Mold - Mold has many different colors such as yellow, green, black, and brown. It will look fuzzy on the surface or like a mysterious stain. The mold may appear on the inside or outside of buildings and will even grow on furniture.
Moisture or Water Damage - Standing water, water leaks, stains, and condensation are all signs of possible mold growth. These can be underneath carpet, behind appliances, or in the basement.
Allergy-like Symptoms - Are the people in your home suffering from cough, sore throat, skin or eye irritation, sinus congestion, or respiratory infections? If they have no medical history of these problems, chances are mold is causing these symptoms.
The Outside of the House Looks Wet - Whether it does not dry after rain or it just looks wet all the time, this is a sign of water in the walls. This will cause mold to grow within the walls.
There are three common types of mold. The most common type of mold is aspergillus, which is found on foods and in air conditioning units. The second type of mold is cladosporium, which is black or green in color. It normally grows on the back of toilets, in air ducts, and on painted surfaces. Cladosporium can trigger allergy symptoms such as sore throat and watery eyes. Black mold, also known as stachybotrys chartarum, is the third most common mold found in homes. This mold is greenish black in color and grows where there is excessive humidity, water leaks, condensation, or water infiltration.
Some people are more sensitive to mold than others, such as the elderly and infants. Those with chronic lung disease and immunocompromised people are especially susceptible to mold, along with people who have severe allergies. Signs that mold is affecting your family are eye irritation, stuffy nose, skin irritation, or wheezing. Severe reactions include shortness of breath and possibly a fever. If anybody in your home is experiencing these symptoms, see a doctor right away.
If you have found mold in your home, it is best to call a professional to clean it up. There are certain precautions that need to be made when cleaning mold. Special equipment and clothing needs to be worn and special guidelines need to be taken into consideration. If you suspect mold is growing in your home, call a professional and have the cleanup done right.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8355327